UBC ARC Sockeye
UBC Engineering Design Teams can now gain access to Sockeye, a high-performance computing platform. It gives students access to 16,000 CPU cores, 200 GPUs and 3 petabytes of storage capacity. Sockeye is a high-demand computer, so requests must be made well in advance. To gain access to the computer, please contact Christoph Sielmann, the Engineering Student Teams Faculty Head at email@example.com.
CAD and 3D Modeling:
- SolidWorks - Free for UBC Engineering Students! - SolidWorks Student Engineering Kit
Electronics and PCB Design:
Simulation and Analysis:
- ANSYS Suite
- ANSYS Suite Information - APSC IT
- ANSYS Advanced Training Manuals
To obtain access to ANSYS research licenses for team members personal computers:
Email the EDT Coordinator from your official design team email with the information
below for each member requiring a license. How to obtain the information.
PC Computer Name
Programming and Software Development:
- MATLAB - A numerical programming language. UBC Students can gain access to MATLAB editor for free!
- Visual Studio Code - A free and open-source code editor with extensive language support and a wide range of extensions.
- Python - A popular programming language used in various engineering applications, with extensive libraries and resources.
- Arduino IDE - An open-source integrated development environment for programming Arduino microcontrollers.
- GitHub - A web-based platform for version control and collaboration on software development projects.
Project Management and Collaboration:
- Microsoft Teams - A team communication and collaboration platform.
- Microsoft Office Suite - Provides a suite of collaborative tools, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and more.
- SolidWorks Product Data Management (PDM) - Provides a robust data management solution for SolidWorks users to manage and control design files and documentation.
Remember to review the terms and conditions of each software source to ensure compliance with licensing and usage restrictions. Additionally, availability and features of free versions may vary, so it's always recommended to check the official websites for the most up-to-date information.